Professor Thomas T. Chen
Professor Thomas T. Chen
University of Connecticut
Molecular & Cell Biology, TLS 415
92 North Eagleville Road, Unit 3125
Storrs, CT 06269-3125
Telephone: (860) 486-5481
Fax: (860) 486-4331
Education: Ph.D. University of Alberta; Postdoctoral study, Queen's University
Research Interests: Current research activities in my laboratory center at the following areas:
- structure, evolution and regulation of growth hormone and growth factor genes in finfish and shellfish;
- molecular actions of growth hormone and growth factor;
- development of disease resistant fish by genetic manipulation of antimicrobial peptide genes;
- anti-tumor activities of the E-peptides of pro-IGF-I; and
- development of fish cell cultures for assessing environmental pollutants.
(Selected from 157 publications)
1. Chen, Thomas T., Chen, Maria J., Chiou, Tzu-Ting and Lu, J.K.: Transfer of foreign DNA into aquatic animals by electroporation. In “Electroporation and Sonoporation in Developmental Biology” (Ed by Nakamura, H.). Springer, Tokyo. pp 229-237, 2009.
2. Kim, k.-S., Kim, H.-W., Chen, T.T., and Kim, Y.T.: Molecular cloning, tissue distribution and quantitative analysis of two propiomelanocortin mRNAs in Japanese flounder (Paralichthys olivaceus). BMB Reports 42: 206-211, 2009.
3. Chen, Maria J., Chiou, Pinwen P. Chiou, Liao, Y.-H., Lin, C.-M., and Chen, Thomas T.: Establishment and characterization of rainbow trout pituitary gland single-cell clones. J. Endocrinology 205: 69-78, 2010.
4. Lo, Jay H. and Chen, Thomas T.: CCAAT/enhancer binding protein b2 is involved in growth hormone regulated IGF-II gene expression in the liver of rainbow trout (Onccorhynchus mykiss). Endocrinology 151: 2128-2139, 2010.
5. Sallum, U. and Chen, Thomas T.: Molecular cloning of cecropin B responsive endonucleases in Yersinia ruckeri. Marine Biotechnol. 123: 56-65, 2011.
6. Chen, Maria J., Lin, C.-M., and Chen, Thomas T.: Induction of Apoptosis in Human Cancer Cells by Rainbow Trout Ea4- or Human Eb-Peptide of Pro-Insulin-Like Growth Factor-I . In “Targeting New Pathways and Cell Death in Breast Cancer” (ed. By Aft, Rebecca L.), pp. 45-56, InTech, 2012.
7. Chen, Thomas T., Lin, Chun-Mean, Chen, Maria J. Lo, Jay H1, Chiou, Pinwen Peter, Gong, Hong-Yi, Wu, Jen-Leih, Chen, Mark Hung-Chih, and Yarish, Charlie: Principles and Application of Transgenic Technology in Marine Organisms. In “Handbook of Marine Biotechnology” (ed., Kim, S.-K.), Springer, 2013 (in press).